Wednesday, March 14, 2012

We Have a New Home

Greetings after two weeks of "down time." We've been busy moving from our former home to our new one, and the people of Seneca Presbyterian Church have been very gracious and patient with me. They understand when I say that the "stuff" is in the house, but most of it is still in boxes in the garage - and may be there for quite some time to come. As we need it or get time to unpack it - that situation should improve. But before I get back to mental work, allow me to reflect on the experience of moving.

The two weeks we devoted to our move were filled with cleaning out, throwing out, giving away, preserving and packing, and remembering. Guess it's inevitable that leaving a home which is familiar and moving to a new home that is exciting but strange (it still feels like we are living in someone else's house) brings back memories. I remember the first time we saw the house that was our home for nine years. I remember the excitement of three children who finally had discovered a house that would work for them. It's bittersweet now living in a house they have not even seen, much less helped to select.

As I mentioned, the people of Seneca Pres have been most supportive. They empathize with the burden of moving. "Enjoy" is not a word they associate with such a task; "hate" is; which is why I would like to go on record as being so very grateful for those capable workers who actually did the hefting and lifting. If we "hate" moving - which most of us only do every few years or so - what about those who do it daily as a way of life? I know they are paid, but not enough. $10 an hour was the figure quoted by one of our movers. Seems unfair to me. Which is why I am so grateful.

So it's back to the mental work - while my back and feet heal. I promise a post tomorrow on Sunday's sermon! Thank you for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment