Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Church for All People ... Serving God through Serving Others

Sunday I shared with you - my church family - my desire to reflect with you on the unique identity and giftedness that we enjoy as the brothers and sisters in Christ known as Seneca Presbyterian Church. It is based on my theory that congregations just like individuals can be uniquely gifted and called for service in God's kingdom while sharing a unity of spirit with all Christians. Just like individuals the challenge is identifying our unique gifts and callings - what they truly are, not just what we want them to be. Of course, that's a bit more challenging with a congregation of 330 souls - each of them uniquely gifted and called. But in this community that we call SPC, there are some obvious and remarkable strengths that just about anyone who knows us would affirm.

I want to spend the next five Sundays reflecting with you on those gifts. I don't do it just to "pat our collective backs" - though this will give me a chance to thank and praise you for what you do so well. I also believe that those whom God gifts, God calls. And those whom God gifts well are called to extraordinary service. So in these sermons I will also try to offer some ideas about how we can do better what we already do well - all with the grace and power of the Spirit.

I truly want this series to be a dialogue - but since that's hard to do standing in the pulpit, we need to find some other venues. This blog is key for creating the dialogue, so please comment, and not just to me but to each other. Email is also an option - and phone calls - and even face to face conversation. I'm anxious to see how the experiment plays out!

So here is my outline of sermon topics for the coming weeks. Watch for postings each week - hopefully by Wednesday. Read and respond! And I extend my thanks to those who already have.


The Church for All People… Serving God through Serving Others

We believe that we are called to be disciples of Jesus Christ.

As a Church of Jesus Christ…
We are called to welcome and care for all God’s children.(January 22)

We are called to the work of transforming lives, beginning with our own.(January 29)

We are called to be faithful stewards of God’s abundance.(February 5)

We are called to be partners with God in the re-creation of the world.(February 12)

We are called to be a congregation for all ages.(February 19)




1 comment:

  1. Nancy, as I mentioned last Sunday, I loved your sermon and am looking forward to exploring this series. Although I am a relative newcomer to the SPC family, everyone I've met and participated with in a variety of areas are a warm, caring and involved group. I'm thankful and feel blessed to be a part of this congregation.

    ReplyDelete