Friday, August 3, 2012

The Book of Psalms


If you have ever read through the entire book of Psalms, you know what a rich and deep gift we have at the center of our Bibles. As I mentioned to the congregation of Seneca Presbyterian last Sunday, every human emotion can be found in the Psalms - including fear, pain, sorrow, longing, anger, rage (even at God), and revenge -- along with utter delight and profound joy. 

A quick aside: If you don't believe me about revenge, read Psalm 137 all the way through. It is a lament psalm sung by exiles in Babylon - basically prisoners of war. They know utter defeat and profound despair. Its final verse has been an embarrassment to the Church for centuries. Preachers debate whether or not it should be included when the Psalm is read. (Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!) I think it was Tom Long (at this year's Festival of Homiletics) who gave the best defense for inclusion I've ever heard: Let's speak these all too human words aloud in the sanctuary, where the emotion behind them can be heard by God, and redeemed.
I encourage you to read all 150 Psalms. You will find surprising, hidden gems. You will also discover that so much of the Bible which we know "by heart" comes from the Psalms. 
  • My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me? (Psalm 22) 
  • Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30)
  • Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46)
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God. (Psalm 51)
  • Make a joyful noise to the Lord. (Psalm 100)
  • Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. (Psalm 103)
  • I lift my eyes to the hills. From where will my help come? (Psalm 121)
To name only a VERY few. Find a psalm that sings to you - and meditate on it day and night, as Psalm 1 suggests. You will be blessed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment