Friday, September 6, 2013

A More Profound Alleluia

We are beginning a new series of worship experiences at Seneca Presbyterian Church this week. Our denomination – the Presbyterian Church (USA) – is publishing a new hymnal. It is called Glory to God and we have been promised that our shipment will arrive in time for us to use it on World Communion Sunday, October 6. Let’s hope publishers and printers and shippers can uphold the promise.
In preparation for that new era, we will be celebrating the gift of congregational song when we gather for worship over the next five Sundays. Since we know our ancestors in faith have been singing about God and to God for thousands of years, we know there are many ways of praising God with music and song. I grew up singing traditional hymns in church and Sunday School. The church that nurtured me as a child had a Sunday evening service too. Hymn sings were often a part of those nighttime worship opportunities. It was there that I learned so many hymns by heart. But just as significantly, I heard what was important to the adults around me, what nurtured their faith, and what they sang with gusto.
I also learned to sing on retreats when we gathered around a campfire, particularly in high school and college. Those are the years when you want to learn something different, something the adults would not sing or even like. In my era, it was “Pass It On” and “Teach Your Children.” I wish I could remember the title of the song book we used – but it had a brown cover, contained just the lyrics, and included “Charlie on the MTA” and “Little Boxes.” Looking back, I remember thinking in that book alone was every good song ever worth singing!
But thank goodness my faith-filled music education didn’t end there. After college came seminary and life in the Church spanning four decades. I’ve been blessed to include in my repertoire Taize choruses and songs from Iona; the majestic strains of high Church tradition; the hymns and songs written in only the last few years. 
When Seneca Presbyterian called me as their pastor, I came to a congregation that offered opportunities to worship in both the traditional and contemporary styles. Traditional I knew; but contemporary was an entirely different experience for me. It threw me into one of the most divisive issues in modern church life, one where either/or usually wins out over both/and. I wish it were not so, because these past three years have deepened my musical repertoire and I am grateful.
                Our denominational church family’s songbook tries to model the diversity that God created in the world of song. For the next five Sundays, we hope to do the same. We’ll look at songs that teach, songs that draw us into God’s presence, songs that call us to action, and songs that unite us. We do so not in order to pick and choose “what I like,” but instead to sing what God likes from all the voices of God’s children. It is what Marva Dawn calls “the music of the whole Church for the sake of the whole world.” You are welcome to join us.
                I’ve already heard from the people of Seneca Presbyterian. They have shared with me their favorite hymn and why. Since we will be at this for four more weeks, there is time to hear from you.
  • What is your favorite hymn and why?
  • How diverse is your repertoire? Is it ok to sing and worship in only one style? What is lost when we do?
  • How do different styles of music speak to you? What do you find missing from your worship experience?
  • How can we sing as one Church offering praise to God in one voice?



No comments:

Post a Comment