Sunday, March 3, 2013

If We Truly Love...



I have enjoyed some time off from sermon preparation recently. My colleague and our Parish Associate Richard Caldwell will be preaching at Seneca Presbyterian Church this week. Long ago, I promised myself that if a week such as this came along, I would spend the time I normally invest in study to actually “go and see” a few of our community ministries in action. Our people faithfully serve in so many ways. I wanted to see firsthand what I had only heard about.
          On Monday I visited the soup kitchen. In Seneca, we call that Our Daily Bread. Over 100 people came through: young and old, black and white, women, men, and children. Some of the faces I knew but most I did not. I watched as faithful workers prepared to host their guests. I learned how most of them lined up well ahead of the 11:30 serving time. I watched the community that formed among the people who came to eat. I learned how nothing was wasted; how leftovers were shared or put aside for another day. And I also watched as one of the regular workers pointed to a young man in a yellow jacket who was talking with a young woman out on the street. They had both just finished lunch. “Keep an eye on the conversation,” the wise worker said. “Just in case he tries to hit her.” Domestic violence represents a profound challenge in Oconee County, SC.
          On Tuesday I met Mike, one of our most faithful church members, at Bi-Lo. We were there to pick up the left over produce that would go to the Golden Corner Food Pantry. I had only been to the Food Pantry once – on a Saturday in May when we sorted cans donated by the community during the post office food drive. This day, I saw it in operation – and it is amazing. Thanks to the generosity of Seneca area churches, a new facility was built about two years ago. It includes walk in coolers and floor to ceiling shelves loaded with food that is both donated and purchased - with amazing frugality. The director invited me to sit in on some screening interviews. That interview is the first step in the process of receiving food for all of the clients. Each story was different – including the 63 year old man who had just survived a major health crisis and needed help with getting food. “I don’t want to be here,” he said, “but I have no other option.”
          Thursday took me to the Oconee Presbyterian Service Fund. Many years ago, the Presbyterian churches in Oconee County opted to work together to provide money for emergency services. OPSF is housed in our Chapter House. I’ve often been asked to supplement what they can provide with Seneca Presbyterian’s Good Samaritan Fund. The formula is simple: justify the need, then offer to help with $50, $75, or $100. The Presbyterians of Oconee County are very generous people.
          Which leads me my major reflection: Are we at Seneca Presbyterian ready to go the second mile, to move our community mission concerns “up a notch”? Are we ready to tackle the difficult challenge of giving that fosters dependency rather than enabling independence and dignity? Not in place of but in addition to these amazing ministries I watched in action this week. It would be profoundly challenging and far more difficult that what we are doing now. Something like allowing your preschooler to tie his own shoes even it if takes five times as long as it would if you did it for him. But if we truly love, is that not the best and highest calling?
          If you recognize the dilemma, then you must know about the book Toxic Charity by Robert D. Lupton. I hope to get most of it read in this next week as I reflect on one of the most difficult texts in Luke: The Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus. It’s my next assignment, so check back and see how I’m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment