Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"The Grass Withers..."

Sunday takes us to the second Sunday of Advent where the typical focus is on John the Baptist. But let's look instead to the magnificent words of Isaiah 40 - words that the Gospel writers echo when they refer to John as the herald who prepares the way. The Old Testament book of the prophet Isaiah has been called the "fifth Gospel." Its words especially sing throughout the Advent season. Who can read "comfort ye my people" without hearing Handel's music singing along?

As I prepare to share this text with you on Sunday, you can help me. In verse 6 a frustrated prophet declares: "All people are grass... The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the Lord blows upon it." What do you think?
  • When have you felt like grass? 
  • When have you felt withered and trampled upon? 
  • What does it feel like to be abandoned by God? 
  • Where did you find life and hope? 
I welcome your responses; they can truly help me in my preaching - and if you'd rather not share them with everyone, just let me know. My preferences are set up to review all  comments before they are posted.

1 comment:

  1. What does it fell like to be abandoned by God?
    Empty - without any joy or hope. But also stupid, for once I rebuke Satan for encouraging me to even think my loving, all-forgiving Heavenly father would abandon me or any of His children, my soul lightens and my world is brighter. I see clearly that God is always here for me and it is I who turned away.

    I find hope in the breath-taking view of the mountains as I make the turn on Wells Highway before highway 76, I find it in the ever-moving waves of the ocean, I find hope, comfort and joy at the sight of a heron taking off in flight. The awesome panaroma of a sunset or sunrise fills me with hope for the present and tomorrow. And I find life, hope, joy, and love in the friendships God enabled me to have.
    Debbie Adams Floyd

    ReplyDelete